Friendly AdvantAGE befriending service to cease from 31st March 2016
The Friendly AdvantAGE project, despite efforts, has been unable to secure further funding and will close March 2016.
Friendly AdvantAGE, funded by BIG Lottery and managed by GVS with support from C3SC, and delivered in partnership with Age Connects Cardiff and the Vale, Dinas Powys Voluntary Concern and Scope Cymru, has been providing a range of befriending projects across Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, since November 2011. GVS will continue to work with partners to try and ensure that funding is secured to address the gap now left in the provision of befriending services to isolated older people in Cardiff and the Vale.
The closure of Friendly AdvantAGE affects the following projects:
- Let’s Get Out Cardiff and Vale and Rural Connections delivered by Age Connects Cardiff and Vale.
- Disability Inclusion Project delivered by Scope Cymru
- Long Term Befriending delivered by Dinas Powys Voluntary Concern
- Getting on With IT delivered by GVS
During its four and half years of operation Friendly AdvantAGE has delivered excellent value for money, providing either 1-2-1 befriending or group activities to over 1,000 beneficiaries at a cost of less than £4, per beneficiary, per week.
Friendly AdvantAGE, established to reduce social isolation and loneliness and to increase the confidence of older people, was independently evaluated by Welsh Institute of Health and Social Care, who evidenced the following:
- 60% of beneficiaries who admitted to being lonely, agreed that their social interaction or well-being had increased
- 76% of beneficiaries who had low levels of confidence, agreed that their confidence has increased during their time with the project
The volunteer led project recruited 175 volunteers, who provided over 11,500 hours of volunteering to support older people reduce loneliness and social isolation.
If you require information about alternative services, please contact Sandra Roberts, Project Manager or Cath Haines, Project Assistant who will remain in post until end of April 2016.
If you need support or information after end of April 2016, please contact GVS 01446 741706.